28 February 2006

Vista Version Overload

Back in September last year "Are they serious", I noted rumours that there would be 7 different versions of the new Vista OS for PC's (not counting EU non-media player versions or server versions).

Well, as it now turns out there will be just six (I think the missing version is a Small Business Edition).

That still seems to me a recipe for consumer confusion. I also note that missing from the Home Basic version is the search feature, and also DVD ripping features. I would have thought such omissions might come as a surprise and disappointment to many people out of the box. Obviously, those in the business will probably just go for the top end version anyway, so we may be oblivious to the travails of those who have to look after themselves at home. When asked for advice from my Windows friends, I think I'll just pass!

No comments: